affliate adblabla

Friday, May 16, 2014

"My Fiancé Died a Year Ago. How Do I Move On?"



When we lose someone we love, it seems like all we share is a process. No matter who we are, we tend to go through similar stages of grief, but we all move through that process at our own pace. For some, it feels painfully slow and steady. For others, it seems to happen in fits and starts, steps forward and backward. Even when people have endured what might seem to an outsider to be the same loss, it feels different to each of us, and we all heal differently. I’ve had friends who acted out in wild ways and others who turned inward. I’ve had good friends who seemed to have bounced back completely before collapsing (and bouncing back again). I’ve known people who seemed to move on with shocking speed, others who repressed their grief and dealt with it when nobody was looking, and plenty of others who emerged from their grief far, far more slowly.
I’ve never lost a fiancé, but I’ve had friends who lost spouses and it’s never been the same for any of them. When dealing with different sorts of grief of my own, I figure I’m somewhat like most people, in that I’ve processed each loss differently: I’ve gotten through some grief faster than I could have anticipated, been whipsawed by successive waves of pain that I thought would never end, and woke up some mornings blindsided by the suddenly present ache of a loss I thought I’d already processed.
So I don’t know how long it will take. Nobody does. I can say that one year doesn’t seem like an awful lot of time. And I do know that it can help a great deal to have someone to talk to. Good friends are essential, but a therapist can be more practical: You never have to feel self-conscious about imposing on a therapist because it’s their job to listen and help you through this. And there are bereavement counselors who specialize in helping people just like you; they can draw on a wealth of knowledge and experience that no friend will possess. You might also find some kindred spirits in group counseling, so I’d recommend that you look into that too.
Whatever you do, don’t feel that you have to rush it. Take your own time, and listen to what your heart is telling you before listening to anyone else.

No comments:

jumia ad



NG-[A_BA[VIDE_TELE_ALLB]:TELEVISIONS_728x90